Thursday, January 18, 2007

The weather outside...


The weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful…

Winter has arrived at my house—full blast, and that song has been running through my head for the past couple of days. And it’s not Christmas. It’s just &&&& cold. I live in Central Texas and this Texan is not used to temperatures in the twenties.

From my office, I can see the icicles hanging on the frozen ice laden trees and the grass and shrubs sparkle with a blanket of icy white crystals. The driveway is a film of ice. Every now and then I can hear the sleet tapping on my window. In the distance, I can see the highline poles and the endless stretch of electrical lines. Ice and icicles are accumulating on the lines and I’m praying the extra weight doesn’t cause them to break. The cold aside, it’s really very pretty—a winter ice land.

We have two fireplaces in our house and in all the ten years we’ve been here we’ve probably used them about four times. And that was at the holidays when we had company. With the central heat and our mild winters, we’ve never needed them. With the frigid cold, both fireplaces have been burning for past two days. I really like the fire. It’s cozy and romantic. I love sleeping with the fire going. And it really great to read by. Tonight, with my husband beside me, I’m curling up in front of the fire in the bedroom and reading one of the books I received for the Rita Contest. Can’t get any better than that.

What’s the weather like in your area? It sounds bad all over the US, so I hope you have a warm fire and a good book to read.

Oh, the weather outside…

2 comments:

Christa said...

The weather here in Ontario isn't too bad. I think Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment acts as a buffer. It is cold but we have not had any severe snow or ice storms. We have some snow on the ground but not enough to cover the grass. Friends of mine are truck drivers and they said they passed through Oregon last week and said it was bad.

Linda Warren said...

Christa,
I guess we have your bad weather. Please take it back.
We don't have snow, just a lot of ice. After 3 days of icy weather, the ice is starting to melt like a big popsicle.
The grocery store doesn't have any fruits are vegetables--the trucks are not running as usual. We take all this for granted, food at the store, electricity, and when it shuts down, its scary. And it makes me think about how grateful I am for the things I've been blessed with.
Stay warm.