Friday, January 19, 2007

Exploding Eggs

Yesterday I decided I wanted hard boiled eggs for lunch. My system for hard-cooking the eggs is simple: bring a pan of water containing the eggs to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let it sit twenty minutes. Viola— the eggs are perfect.

No problem. Except, I am in the middle of an intense round for revisions, due next week. With my thoughts on the scene of the morning, I filled the pan, turned on the heat, and promptly forgot about it.

Awhile later, engrossed in my work, I vaguely heard a loud pop. Quickly followed by my husband’s bellow: “Annie!” (He calls me Annie and always has.) Fearing he’d had an accident or broken something, I rushed upstairs. Only to be greeted by nasty fumes and bits of egg everywhere!

As awful as this was, I found it funny. Laughed hysterically as we cleaned the mess from the floor, ceiling, walls, and even the dining room. (I never knew projectiled hardboiled egg chunks could travel that far.)

Unlike me, my husband failed to see the humor. For all I know, he thinks I’m developing Alzheimer’s. I’m not, of course. What really happened was, I got so wrapped up in my work that the real world faded away.

As I thought about this later, I realized that only another writer would understand. A call to a close writer friend confirmed this. She laughed right along with me. Thank God for friends who “get it.”

I did learn my lesson, though. Next time I want hard-boiled eggs, I’m setting the timer.

5 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Hey there Ann--I didn't know you blogged here! The egg story is hilarious!

I have a friend up your way who put two chickens in a pot of water and then left to see a Seahawks game. Midway through the game, she looked at her husband and said, "I did take the chickens off the stove, didn't I?" They called neighbors who had to break into their house to turn off the stove. By then, the chickens were a mass of black goo in the pan---and on the ceiling, the curtains, the furniture---the smoke had permeated every square inch of that house. They moved out while a disaster restoration company came in and cleaned the sticky, fatty soot from everything.

Beware of chickens!
LOL
Alice

Christa said...

A while ago I had one of those small Hamilton Beach in door grills (by the way they are great). I think my sister has the George Foreman, but hers doesn't have the grease catch. She has to put a plate under. The non stick stuff was starting to come off, so friends of mine bought me a bigger one for my birthday and this one has a timer. So now I can chat with all all you wonderful authors without going in the kitchen every three minutes to check of my supper. Oh and did I mention it fold out, so I can grill vegetables and meat at the same time.

Anonymous said...

LOL, Alice! Now I feel lots getter ...

Anonymous said...

Christa, I want one of those! You'll never burn anything that way.

Putting that on my wish list ...

Christa said...

Ann
These grills are great. Because when closed the heat is coming from both the top and bottom, it cuts cooking time in half(I can have a boneless chicken breast ready in 10 minutes). It is slightly slanted and grooved, the grease drips off the meat. Because it is nonstick oil or grease is not used(I use a little Pam just in case). Clean-up is a breeze(again because it is non-stick). I just lay a damp cloth on the element when it is cool and close the lid and leave for about an hour. Mine came with a handy dandy grooved scraper. I just have to make sure not to use metal utensils on it.
Christa