Friday, January 05, 2007

There are signs everywhere

I believe in signs. On the way home from the post office yesterday, I saw a rainbow. Now I realize that rainbows are simply prisms formed when light is refracted by water. But I choose to see the rainbow as a sign that all is well, and that good things are coming my way.

Why this particular rainbow brought tears to my eyes is anyone’s guess. At the moment my life is good. My family is healthy and I anticipate a productive and fabulous year. But tear up I did. I thought about the things I am grateful for besides my family. Good friends. A growing a loyal readership. A muse that chugs along like a fine workhorse and hasn’t failed me yet. The support and encouragement of my editors and agent.

And okay, chocolate and that I love to bake. (Getting those fat calories from homemade goodies is so much tastier than from the bought kind :-)). Great wine. Good movies, Grey’s Anatomy, Project Runway, Democracy Now!, books and magazines.. I could go on and on, but I’m starting to bore myself.

The thing is, that sign, that rainbow, boosted my spirits (after I wiped away the tears) and reminded me that life is beautiful—a wonderful thing.

There are signs all around us if we bother to see them. I don’t know about you, but I plan to keep my eyes open.

What signs have you seen lately? I’d love to know.

2 comments:

Cindy Taylor said...

I see signs all the time. In fact, I live my life by signs. They may not always be as visible as rainbows or road blocks, but if I pay close enough attention, there they are. More often than not they're telling me what to do, but I love those moments when they're showing me all the blessings around in my life. And for the life, family, friends and such I have, I think it's a good thing I listen to the signs. I'd be lost without them. ;)

Glad you were able to see such a beautiful sign!

Anonymous said...

Cool, Cindy. You're right--the signs will point us in the direction right for us... but not unless we notice them.