Friday, May 17, 2013

What's on your "Mom" list?


Last week, I'm sure many of you had a list of reasons to wish your mother the happiest of Mother's Days and to thank her for all she has done. 

So did I.  

Here are a few of the things I'm most grateful for.  Thanks to my mother, I became:


  - a book lover

  - a lifelong reader

  - a writer


One of my earliest happy memories is of the day my mom took me to get my first library card.  And I do mean took me to get that card, because she couldn't get it for me.  According to the rules of our tiny local branch library, I needed to be able to print my own name on the application. 

Even at five years old, I knew just how much getting my very own library card would mean to me.  I practiced my printing every day, because I so wanted that small, yellow, rectangular piece of cardboard with my name on it.

And I aced the test, first time around!

Getting that library card eventually led me to become a student volunteer in the elementary school library.  Much later, it led me to selling a book—well, actually, two books—to Harlequin American Romance.  And not long after they were published, I found both of them on the shelves of my local library.  Can't you just imagine what a thrill that was!

I wish my mom had still been with us to know I'd gotten "the call."

A big thanks, Mom, for everything...

And a big thanks to you, Readers, for stopping by the blog.

Want to share something special your mother has done for you?

All my best to you,

Barbara

~~~~~~

Barbara White Daille


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your list, Barbara. This is easier for me if I think about my Grandmother.

- Her love of books and reading - she was a Librarian.

- Her loving, nurturing spirit.

- Her love of family history. We worked on many Geneology projects.

Sadly, I lost her when I was 20, but she will always live on in my heart.

Barbara White Daille said...

Tammy - that's a beautiful list. I'm so glad you had those years to create all your memories with your grandmother.

Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara

EllenToo said...

Sadly for my mother she raised two boys and a dyed in the wool tomboy. I was a daddy's girl. This was probably because of the birth of my younger brother when I was three. Also because my daddy loved to read but mommy didn't. I loved my mom very much and miss her now that she is no longer with us.

Barbara White Daille said...

Ellen - I'm glad your dad passed along his "reading gene" to you.

In my case, my dad was the non-reader. Luckily, one parent as a role model worked for me.

Barbara