Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Blackberry season is here


This has been the perfect growing season for the blackberries that grow wild in the greater Seattle area. We’re lucky to have so many bushes within walking distance or a short drive away, with berries free for the taking. I’ve already picked quite a few, and made pies and cobblers. I’ve also frozen bags and bags of berries, which I’ll pull out and use this winter, for a taste of summer on a cold day.




Picking berries (and sampling often as I pick ) is half the funprovided I’m wearing jeans, a long-sleeve shirt and sneakers to protect against pesky thorns. I especially enjoy berry picking at the end of a long day of writing. Getting outside in the late afternoon sun feels like a mini getaway, and I often gain new and unexpected insights into the story I am working on or the one I’m getting ready to start. 

I just finished a book—yay!!and think I’ll got out now, and pick some more.


Which fruits grow wild in your area? Do you take advantage of the bounty as I do?

Until next month and wishing you all a fabulous and plentiful September,

Ann

6 comments:

Linda Warren said...

Dewberries. We love them with whipped cream and they a delicious pie. You're making me hungry.LOL

Linda Henderson said...

We have blackberries, blueberries and some wild strawberries. I'm not a blackberry or blueberry fan but I love strawberries.

CJ Carmichael said...

We had so many raspberries where I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan. I was shocked when I left home and saw the cost of a pint in the grocery store! But I agree Ann--there is something very peaceful and agreeable about spending time in the sun picking berries of any type.

Anonymous said...

Linda W-- I have never heard of dewberries! I'm going to look them up...

Anonymous said...

Linda H-- I love strawberries, too! Really, most any berries. If they're sour, a little sugar takes care of that. :)

Anonymous said...

CJ- We try to grow raspberries in the back yard. We get enough to sprinkle over cereal, but never enough to freeze. I envy those days when you had so many.