Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cowboy Heritage

For most of us, putting on a pair of cowboy boots and a Stetson hat is not an everyday occurance. But in Calgary--where I live--this is something we all do for ten days of the year.
The Calgary Stampede is a 100 year old tradition. A Canadian festival, celebrating the cowboy way of life, Stampede fever takes over our city malls, our office boardrooms, our streets and our hearts. Many years ago (be polite and don't ask how many) when I was a university graduate, I moved to Calgary to start my new job as an articling Chartered Accountant. My first day at the accounting firm just happened to fall on the week of Stampede. I showed up in my tailored business suit and heels only to find that everyone at the firm--from secretary to managing partner--was in jeans and a western shirt. Awkward. But once I got over the shock, I soon grew to love the stampede--and what's not to love? Free pancake breakfasts all over the city, square dancing in the streets and of course, the rodeo...
Those of us who write and read American Romances know that the western spirit is more than something to celebrate at a festival once a year. It is also a way of life. A set of values. You'll see that in the new series, Harts of The Rodeo. It begins this July with Cathy McDavid's book: Aidan: Loyal Cowboy and continues next month with my debut American, Colton: Rodeo Cowboy. If you want a taste of what to expect, check out the book trailer. Then leave me a comment on what appealed to you most about the trailer and I'll choose a name at random to receive a copy of Cathy's book as well as a special Harts of the Rodeo bookmark. Happy Reading!

6 comments:

Louise Behiel said...

what a lovely trailer, CJ. It looks like a wonderful series. and there's nothing like the Stampede. I love it. including the jeans for 10 days straight.

linda s said...

I love the Stampede. Every July I want to be sitting on the curb watching the parade, wandering the barns and watching the chuck wagon races. I do miss it.
This looks like it's going to be a great series. I enjoyed Aiden's story and have your book on order. Colton is mysterious.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the trailer was the music. It had a real western feel. The Stampede sounds like a lot of fun,

CJ Carmichael said...

Thanks for checking out the trailer everyone! I'm really excited about it.

Hey Louise--I agree, getting to dress comfy for a week is a great part of Stampede.

Linda, the parade has been a favorite thing for me, too. It was fun taking my kids when they were little.

Tammy, I love the music, too. That steel guitar is great.

Amanda Renee said...

I've always wanted to go to the Stampede. I need to make a vow, mark the calendar and just do it. I love the Harts of the Rodeo series. My fav part of the trailer is the rustic western feel. Love the music.

CJ Carmichael said...

Congratulations Louise! You are the winner of Aiden, Loyal Cowboy by Cathy McDavid. Please send your mailing address to: cj@cjcarmichael.com and I'll send you the book as soon as I can.