Monday, April 18, 2011

Yoga and Me

The title is a bit misleading.  Why?  Yoga and I aren't getting along as well as I'd imagined we might.  Actually, I like yoga.  Unfortunately, my body doesn't. 

It's obvious I should have tried this ten years ago.  Or maybe fifteen years ago.  Or maybe when I was fifteen.  Sometime back in the day when I could do a backbend from standing might have worked well.  I haven't tried that for a while.  In fact, the last time I did, I walked funny for several days.  Now I walk funny once a week after yoga class, once I'm able to get up from the yoga mat, that is.

You're probably asking why I even wanted to take a yoga class.  The truth is that I was hoping it would help give me more flexibility.  After all, I spend much of my time sitting in front of a computer and need a little exercise.  (I have not jumped on the treadmill that my youngest daughter and I finally put together a couple of weeks ago...after buying it two years ago.)  'Start out slow and easy' was my mantra.  I've discovered that I'm having to work my way up to slow and easy.

The 10-week class is a little more than half over, and I'm asking myself just how important being able to bend at will is.  Maybe meditation would be a better idea? 

4 comments:

Hizbullah said...

good!join me back

Estella said...

Have never tried yoga--don't think I ever will.

Linda Warren said...

I haven't tried yoga either. I'd have to work up to slow and easy.LOL

Good luck with it.

Linda

Megan Kelly said...

Funny, and in my case sad-but-true. My son uses our treadmill, otherwise it would be dust covered. I have pilates dvds but now you've scared me off from unwrapping them. lol