Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Top 10 Things that Get Me Through January

It has been a long, dark, dreary, cold, snowy month, much more so than usual for my little slice of the South. As I write this, we're under yet another winter storm warning with a predicted 2-4 inches of snow on the way. Sigh. But the end is in sight. There's something about changing the calendar over to February that makes me happy. January is my least favorite month, and this one has been a stinker. And even if it's still cold and wintry in February, in my mind I'm thinking, "Spring is just around the corner!"

But I've managed to get through January fairly well considering I'd much rather be in South Florida where they never see snow. Here's are my coping mechanisms, in no particular order:

1. Exercise! I have some ambitious weight-loss and fitness goals for this year, so I'm exercising regularly. Side benefits including improving my mood and keeping me warm. :)

2. New TV shows -- There are returning favorites (White Collar, V, Supernatural) and new programs (Off the Map, Fairly Legal).

3. Reading RITA entries. I have eight to judge, and I read them while I'm on the treadmill or snuggled under the covers at night. The first one I read was really good, and this second one is also really good so far. I love getting off to a good start.

4. Re-watching the Harry Potter movies and re-reading the Harry Potter books. Yes, in preparation for the movie series finale this summer.

5. Work. I cranked through a first draft of an American manuscript this month and have also done some freelance work. Keeping busy makes January fly.

6. Couponing. My sister is a whiz at getting deals at the grocery. That, combined with a fascination about the extreme couponers (you know, those people who can get a cart full of food for like $1.50) has me learning more about saving on our grocery bill. I still have a lot to learn, but I learn a little more each day.

7. Connecting with friends and readers through Facebook and Twitter. When I sign on to either, I always find something interesting.

8. Planning for a trip to Texas in March. I have to go to Austin for the RWA board meeting, so I'm tacking on a trip to see a good friend in San Antonio and a research trip through the Hill Country for the trilogy I'm working on for American.

9. Daydreaming about someday being able to live in a Florida beach community. I simply adore the idea of being able to go walking on the beach and listening to the waves every day.

10. Curling up on the couch with the hubby to watch football or movies.

Are you a fan of winter, or do you slog through it on your way to spring? What gets you through the winter months?

13 comments:

Pamela Stone said...

Hi Trish,

I'm not a sport or even a tv program fan. However you and I are toally on the same dream wave regarding living on the beach.

I also like to start January organized. All the Christmas stuff put away and the house in order. That obsessive compulsive thing kicks in first of every year for me.

Trish Milburn said...

Pamela, I love to start off organized and energized too. The last week of the year, I work a lot on goals and action plans for the new year and then dive in Jan. 1.

As I stare out my office window at the new snow, that beach home is sounding even better. Oh, if I could just win the Lotto. :)

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I don't mind cold weather that much since I'm such a hermit anyway. It's the SNOW DAYS that get to me!

Jody

Regina Merrick said...

I've always loved snow - until I had to start leaving the house and going to work in it! Now, the beach community sounds better all the time. I just have to convince hubby that a nice SC or FL beach would be more desirable than MAINE. ;)

Caro Carson said...

What an excellent suggestion, to have a hard copy stack growing and growing for inspiration. I think I'll try it. Besides, it will make a good, old-fahioned back-up in case of a computer emergency!

Caro Carson said...

Oops. Egg on my face. The comment above was for the blog below, "My Progress Box." But Trish, your January organization is enviable. By the time I got all the Christmas put away this year, I was too pooped to organize anything else. Good for you!

Leigh Duncan said...

Caro, No problem. I'm glad you liked the idea of my Progress Box, and I'll be thinking of your growing stack of manuscript pages.

Trish, I live on Florida's East Coast and I never get to the beach. So funny.

Estella said...

I actually don't mind winter. It is my time to recharge and work on my TBR pile.

Trish Milburn said...

Jody, yeah, at least I don't have to worry about the snow days with kids home.

Regina, at least you don't have to worry much about a long commute. :)

Trish Milburn said...

Caro, had to laugh at your oops because I was thinking, "Hmm, I'm confused." :)

Trish Milburn said...

Leigh, want to trade? :) It's probably that thing where you don't go places that are close, the places that others come from far away to see. I live in Nashville, had for 14 years before I ever went to the Grand Ole Opry. Though I'd driven by it a million times.

Trish Milburn said...

Estella, it is a great time to curl up and read.

Gillian Layne said...

Trish, I just read your article in RWR and it rocked! I'm inspired to get my bootie moving more this year...and how I envy the treadmill desktop. That is brilliant!

I would love it if you shared any tips on the couponing. That's something I'm trying to do more this year, too.