Friday, September 24, 2010

A Visit to the National Eagle Center

Earlier this month, while visiting family in Minnesota, I had an opportunity to visit the National Eagle Center in a little town called Wabasha. The center currently has five injured and non-releasable resident eagles—one golden and four bald eagles.

A 29-year-old bald eagle named Harriet was taking part in an interpretive program when I arrived. She was incredibly alert and it was clear that those bright, sharp eyes didn’t miss a thing.

At one point she even gave us a look at her amazing wingspan.

A splendid example of the national bird and national symbol of the United States, don’t you think?

In the 1950s, there were only about 400 nesting pairs of bald eagles in the 48 contiguous states and these magnificent birds were on the endangered list. In 1995 bald eagles were transferred to the threatened list, and in 2007 they were delisted. Their recovery can be attributed to various government agencies and other organizations, including the National Eagle Center.

I enjoyed meeting Harriet and was especially pleased when she agreed to pose for a picture with me.

If you’d like to find out more about Harriet, you can read her bio here.

And here’s a short video taken by another visitor to the National Eagle Center.



This fall we’ve had lots of happy bald eagles here in the Pacific Northwest because there’s been a record run of sockeye salmon. In honor of the eagles and the salmon, I’ve posted my favorite recipe for Grilled Sockeye Salmon on my personal blog today, and I’m giving away an autographed copy of Firefighter Daddy today. I hope you’ll drop by and leave a comment.

Until next time,
Lee

4 comments:

Lynn Cahoon said...

Lee.. as a Pacific NW transplant to Missouri/Illinois, I was surprised to find eagles here fishing in the Mississippi river Jan-March.

In fact my new home town sits right on the river. Many weekends my husband and I took off with cameras in hand to snaggle a few pictures of the eagles. Although I've never been that close to one.

Rachel said...

How exciting to see Harriet close up – so very close! – and to know that she and her fellows are off the endangered list.

There are so many unsung heroes out there doing such important work, aren't there?

robynl said...

29 yrs. old, wow!! Is this unusual I wonder! That is amazing.

Estella said...

I have been fortunate enough to see eagles in the wild catching salmon. It's awesome!