Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Cowboy Up!

This is a very exciting day--y'all should head on over to the Harlequin American continuity blog where we're celebrating the First Family of Rodeo, the Codys. http://firstfamilyofrodeo.blogspot.com/ Our terrific American writers are going to talk about the cowboy!
Yep, as much as I'm a small town girl from the Midwest (or maybe because I am), I love the American cowboy. I grew up watching reruns of John Wayne, Gary Cooper and all the other heroes and villians clothed in chaps and riding the range.
Put Jimmy Stewart in a cowboy hat, give him a horse to ride (his favorite "actor" horse was named Pie), and our entire perception of him changes. He's no longer saving the Bailey Building & Loan or talking to Harvey. He's saving the ranch and upholding justice.


So, is it the clothes that make the man? Not at all. Did anyone believe John Travolta was a cowboy, Urban or otherwise, just because he had the boots and hat? Not me. I want my cowboy honorable, dependable, loyal. I want him tough and yet ready to have a good time, preferably loving the heroine.
The cowboy is bone-deep American. Yum.

I'll be back next month after our RWA conference in Orlando, but right now, it's cowboy time! See y'all over there.

Megan Kelly






5 comments:

CC Coburn said...

Hi Megan,
What's not to love about a cowboy? Big, strong, incredibly capable men. Loners often, sometimes by choice, sometimes to protect their hearts.
I'm curently reading the first of the Cody series by Rebecca Winters and loving it - looking forward to them all!
Agree with you totally about Jimmy Stewart.
See you in Orlando!
CC

Estella said...

I love cowboys!

Barbara White Daille said...

I love cowboys, too, and am moseying right on over to that blog!

Barbara
www.barbarawhitedaille.com

Megan Kelly said...

Hey, Everyone! Sorry to be absent today; my Internet is wonky, my day job is crazy, I'm heading out of town to a speaking engagement tomorrow, and I'm working on revisions. Ai yi yi. I have both Cody books now, Rebecca's and Marin's. I can't wait, but revisions rule. :)

Gillian Layne said...

Love, love those cowboys! In movies, John Wayne and Sam Elliott rule.