Friday, April 16, 2010

Spring Cleaning Philosophy

Yep, it's that time of year again. You've heard all the "definitions" of spring cleaning:heavy duty, top-to-bottom cleaning--carpets, windows inside and out, blinds, draperies, sorting through closets, basements, attics and garages--all this in addition to the traditional chores of dusting, scrubbing toilets, showers and kitchens. Most of us understand and appreciate that the meaning of this yearly event is associated with "spring" due to warmer weather and the idea that spring signals renewal and rebirth.

The older I become the less interested I am in rebirth and renewal--at least when it comes to my home. One afternoon while I was searching the Internet for cleaning "shortcuts" I came across the following spring-cleaning philosophies.

Spring Cleaning Philosophy #1
from YOU Magazine www.allaboutnews.com
Spring is here and it's time to give your home a deep cleaning. There are two roads you can go down. The first one is paved with loathing and complaints. Needless to say, it is not a very fun road to travel. Chores seem to take longer to complete, and by the end of the day, your back hurts worse than ever.
The second road is one that involves taking a slightly different look at the task at hand. Spring is a very symbolic time of year. From the beginning, it's always been associated with starting anew. If you think of spring cleaning in somewhat the same way, your attitude in terms of doing it may actually change for the better.
Think of how good it will feel to not only have a very clean home, but also one that's organized and clutter-free. At the same time, think about how much easier it's going to be to perform any subsequent cleaning throughout the remainder of the year. It may actually result in a renewed love of the space in which you live. Believe it or not, a good spring cleaning can be as cathartic
and invigorating as a move into a new home.
Spring Cleaning Philosophy # 2
I don't do windows because--I love birds and don't want one to run into a clean window and get hurt.
I don't wax floors because--I am terrified a guest will slip and get hurt then I'll feel terrible (plus they might sue me).
I don't mind the dust bunnies because--They are very good company, I have named most of them, and they agree with everything I say.
I don't disturb cobwebs because--I want every creature to have a home of their own.
I don't spring clean because--I love all the seasons and don't want the others to get jealous.
I don't put things away because--My husband will never be able to find them again.
I don't do gourmet meals because--When I entertain I don't want my guests to stress out over what to make when they invite me over for dinner.
I don't iron because--I choose to believe them when they say "permanent press."
I don't stress much on anything because--"A Type" personalities die young and I want to stick around and become a wrinkled up crusty ol' woman!"
Remember--A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Okay, I admit that spring-cleaning philosophy #2 sounds really appealing! So...what kind of spring-cleaning philosophy do you subscribe to?
Marin
Dexter:Honorable Cowboy
Book #2 The Codys: First Family of Rodeo

5 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

Ha! I love the comparison! I live philosophy #2, but I plan on moving to #1 by the end of the summer. I want the clutter gone! :)

Pamela Stone said...

Spring! You're supposed to clean in the Spring? All kidding aside, I love cleaning in the Spring. I love moving all the plants outside and cleaning the house. Getting rid of stuff that's accumulated over the past year.

I even love planting a few new flowers in the yard. But what I no longer look forward to, probably because of lack of time, is all the cleaning out of flowerbeds and working the yard back into shape. I love the finished product, but the doing, not so much anymore. . .

Marin Thomas said...

Hi Gillian & Pam

I, too am going to de-clutter this spring except it will have to wait until May :-) My daughter graduates from high school and I want the house clean for when mother-in-law arrives so I think I'll work on getting rid of junk and then leave the cleaning until the last minute!

Marin

Estella said...

Philosophy #2 is my cup of tea!

linda s said...

Philosophy #1 1/2 - between actually cleaning and living with the dog hair... hire someone else to do it while I read a book.