Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Very Wicked Evening


Living in the center of the country has its perks, I'm sure, but the chance to enjoy a Broadway musical isn't one that happens often. I envy those who live close to NYC and have the opportunity to enjoy seeing some of the best theatrical productions in the world. In Kansas, that doesn't happen very often.


Quick backstory: In 2003 while I was attending RWA's National Conference, three of my fellow RWAer's and I enjoyed a day of sightseeing. We were near Times Square when I looked up to see one of the biggest and especially longest billboards I've ever seen. I took a picture...or so I thought. None ever showed up on my camera. But I raved about it to my family when I returned home, saying that someday I wished I could see the musical I'd seen advertised on that billboard.


A week and a half ago, I had the immense pleasure of attending that Broadway musical--WICKED - The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz--not in NYC, but in Kansas. A bit ironic, yes? My oldest daughter bought tickets months ago and insisted I go with her, her hubby, and one of her friends from work. I did, and it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.


Now, I've been to some excellent theater productions in my life, ranging from some of the best high school and college plays in the area to two summers of theater-going that starred many big names from Broadway, movies and TV, including Joanne Worley from Laugh-In and John Raitt from Broadway and movies. I even have autographs! And I have a clue about the hard work that goes into theater productions, because I acted in several plays in high school and helped start a local community theater, once upon a time. But nothing compares to the wonder of the evening a week-and-a-half ago.


The scenery was magnificent, the costumes were... well, out of this world, even from our front row balcony seats. I hadn't read the book by Gregory Maguire, although my daughter had, so I was in for a surprise, and it was fascinating how the author took a well-known story and opened the eyes of the world to what "really" happened. The two lead actresses, Helene Yorke as Galinda (Glinda, the Good Witch) and Marcie Dodd as Elphaba (the Wicked Witch), could both belt out songs that sent shivers through me. The rest of the cast was equally good, and I've never enjoyed anything so much.


Hugs and lots of love to my daughter Sabrina, who not only bought the tickets and wouldn't let me back out, but also surprised me with a souvenir T-shirt afterward. I'll always treasure the memory of seeing the show and will wear the shirt with joy. A movie version of the musical is scheduled for 2012, so if you haven't seen the show, you'll have the chance to see the next best thing. Don't miss it!


Defy gravity!

3 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Roxann

a few years ago my daughter was in NYC with her father and saw Wicked on Broadway--long story on how they came about the tickets--but my daughter still talks about that show today and listens to the soundtrack.

Marin
A Cowboy Christmas (Dec 09)
www.marinthomas.com

Linda Henderson said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I grew up in Kansas and now live in Missouri so we are neighbors.

Cathy McDavid said...

Roxann,

I've seen Wicked twice, if you can believe it. Maybe you can :) Best darn Broadway musical ever. I have two mugs and a keychain but no T-shirt. My daughter does, though!

Cathy McDavid