Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Time To Exercise

Now that wrestling and basketball season is over and Lent has begun, I’ve decided to concentrate a little bit on me. My husband and I joined another Bible study group, so I think I’ve got the spiritual part of my life taken care of.

For me, that’s the easy part. It’s the physical part that I struggle with. See, exercise is not a part of my routine. Oh, I belong to a health club, and a few years ago I even paid a personal trainer to nag me to lift weights.

But now that the personal trainer thing is done-(she had the nerve to break up with her boyfriend and moved away!)-I’m lucky if I even get to the gym once a week.

No, I'm not that busy. It's just that I always find something better to do, such as cooking, reading, and um...ironing. Obviously I need some motivation.

A few years ago at Nationals, a few of us American authors got together just to chat. One of the things that I discovered was that a lot of the authors do some kind of exercise almost every day~play tennis, run, take yoga classes, garden. I didn’t get the impression that these were things on their ‘to-do’ list either. Oh, no. These were activities that were a part of their routine and they felt better for it!

I want to be like them!

So I’m on the hunt for a new activity. Any one care to share a new fitness routine you’ve adopted fairly recently? Are you loving Pilates now? Taken up golf? Dancing? Also, how do you fit exercise into your life? Is it a first thing in the morning activity… or something you do on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? I’d really love to hear your ideas and get inspired!

Shelley

6 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

Shelley, the only exercise that has ever worked for me is walking. I try to do two miles as soon as it's light enough outside. Yes, I walk outside, in any weather but rain. I live in a small town in Southern Indiana, where hills are plentiful. So I get plenty of flat - uphill - downhill. I get a lot for my investment--the exercise itself, fresh air, and waving at people I know as they drive by.

Lee McKenzie said...

Shelley, I've always had trouble motivating myself to get enough exercise.

Like Magdalena, I love to walk, and I've been told that walking is excellent weight-bearing exercise, especially for those of us of us who are at a...ahem...certain age and wanting to prevent the loss of bone mass. I sure hope it's true!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying, Magdalena!

Walking early seems like a great idea. I bet it's nice to start the day that way!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee!

Well, you've convinced me! I'll give walking a few times a week a try.

shelley

Anonymous said...

Shelley - I've been doing a DVD workout from Crunch that is cardio with Pilates-inspired moves. You squat a lot and do plies. Some good stomach work in there too. I also do yoga - Seane Corn is very good with her instruction. I'm one of those who likes to exercise alone.
I also exercise when I get home from work. On weekends I do a A.M. yoga routine that involves laying on the floor most of the time!
Good luck finding something you like. I also agree with everyone about walking. You can let your mind be free when you walk.
-Marcie

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcie!

Thanks so much for the DVD ideas. I just wrote them down. I like that you are able to exercise when you get home from work. Maybe that time will work best for me, too.

Shelley