Thursday, February 05, 2009

Don’t let this happen to you!

Last week, it happened. My Mac Cube up and died. There were no signs until instead of booting up, the little question mark flashed at me. I rebooted, with the same scary results. The kind techies at the Apple Store (who oohed and aahed over the Cube and that fact that I used it relentlessly for NINE years) tried to resurrect the hard drive. No luck. Disaster!

Luckily, I backed up a lot of stuff on my laptop–through October, 2008. No photos though, and none of the recipes I collect. My flash drive had my current wip on it—up to the day before the meltdown, when for some reason, I failed to back up. I lost some edits, but one day’s edits isn’t so bad. (Though I swear, they were the best edits ever!)

Using my 2008 income/expense spreadsheet from my laptop, I easily recreated the 2009 version. Same with my email and address book. Still lost a bunch of stuff, though, including e-fan mail and the neat online reviews and promo stuff I saved.

I know better!

On the positive side, I bought a brand new iMac. Macs no longer come fully loaded with Microsoft Office, so I purchased that and a faster, sleeker printer. All that, yet the combined cost was $1300 LESS than what I paid for the Cube and printer in 2000. Pretty cool. And my new 20-inch screen is heaven! Also, this computer is much, much faster. All to the good.

In the near future, I’ll be buying a portable hard drive. They’re tiny (about the size of my hand) and worth the cost.

Don’t do what I did–back up everything at least weekly! You'll be so glad you did.

Until later and wishing you a healthy computer and a good backup system,

Ann
www.annroth.net
Ooh, Baby!
March RT Top Pick!

No comments: