Thursday, January 01, 2009

On the first day

In the blogosphere, where the old year dwells
Eternally in cyberspace,
Let’s grab the rope and ring the bells
To welcome the … human race … happy place… smiley face…

Too much sparkling apple-cranberry juice last night. Let’s try again.

There once was an old year, ’08,
That no one would dare celebrate.
It dashed all our hopes,
Threw us on the ropes,
And left my head in a terrible state.

Forget that! Who needs more gloom and doom?

Deck the mall with cards of folly
Tra la la la la (etc etc)
The banks are hoping you’ll be solly
Fa la la la …

Wait. Solly? Honestly! Once again into the fray:

While we wait for the economy to rally,
Let’s chalk up a personal tally:
One family well met,
Our home’s not foreclosed yet
And there’s plenty of lilies in the valley.

Sorry – I seem to have a poetic deficit this year. What I’m trying to say is:
To all my readers and fellow authors, Happy New Year,
Best of luck and love in 2009.
And may it be a much better year than ’08!

5 comments:

Gillian Layne said...

How awesome is this! What a hoot! Thanks for letting me start 2009 with a big smile on my face! ;)

EllenToo said...

Actually it may not be great poetry but it is a good giggle. Thanks and have a prosperous New Year.

Kara Lennox said...

What a great poem! All the years I've known you, Jacqueline, and I never knew you had this talent!

Anonymous said...

2009 - the year of being positive!
And hats off to reading some really good books.
-Marcie

Jacqueline Diamond said...

Thanks to everyone for commenting! Always glad if I can entertain.