Sunday, December 07, 2008

Because of a man I recently met, I can't let this day pass unnoticed.
This past summer, I spent several hours with the husband of my mother-in-law's cousin. He's a fascinating man, a volunteer at the seminary where he used to work for over 20 years, who grew up as a farmer. Now he's an avid cross-stitcher, who creates beautiful works with thread and patience.
Another thing that really stands out, other than his kindness and old-fashioned courtesy, is the story of his time in the Navy. He's a Pearl Harbor survivor. He showed me his page at Pearl Harbor Stories (http://www.pearlharborstories.org/), and filled in more details throughout the day.
I'm not going to give you his name because all of the stories there are worth reading. I am going to encourage you to talk to the older people in your life and learn more about them. Never would I have guessed this gentle man was such a fascinating piece of living history.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the servicemen and women, past and present for their service and their sacrifice. And to extend my thanks also to their families.
If you know an older person, ask them about the memories of their past. My aunt once mentioned casually about having to clear the street in Kansas because a herd of cattle was coming through town, which of course sparked an idea for a historical romance LOL.
Have a great holiday.
Megan Kelly
megankellybooks.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan- This is a terrific idea! Thanks for reminding us all that everyone has a story, and that older folks have valuable stories to tell.

Estella said...

I did'nt know there was a website with Pearl Harbor stories.
Thank you!

Megan Kelly said...

Ann, my mom is the youngest of 7 so I grew up listening to these anecdotes and loving them. Now I also get the stories from my in-laws.
Estella, I had no idea either until I met him this summer. I believe other veterans have sites too. Megan