Wednesday, November 05, 2008

From the Heart

I recently attended the New Jersey RWA conference. What a terrific weekend! The theme of this year’s conference, Put Your Heart in A Book, was echoed throughout the conference. From Lisa Scottoline to J.R. Ward to Eloisa James, I heard it time and again—use your mind and your writing skills, but make readers care by putting your heart into every book and letting your passion for the story shine through.

Sometimes we hear what we need to, and apparently I needed to hear this message. For the past six months I have been making choices and decisions using my heart as well as my head. The experience has been both interesting and hugely rewarding. Why not do the same with novel writing? Not that I didn’t know about writing from the heart before. I did/do, and I strive to put lots of heart into every one of my stories. But hearing the message again is a timely reminder to me to share my passion by digging deep and creating characters, however flawed they may be, with lots of heart. ☺

Until next time, and wishing you a day filled with heart and meaning,

Ann
www.annroth.net

4 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

"Put your heart in a book"--it sounds simple, and when done right, creates a story that can make a difference.

Beautiful message. Thank you for the reminder.

Magdalena

Anonymous said...

You are so welcome, Magdalena! :-)

Sara said...

Don't you just love it when you get what you need from a conference!

Without the "heart" and passion of the author - the book wouldn't be nearly as good...

Anonymous said...

Sara, I totally agree. :-)