Thursday, July 24, 2008

Forever Blowing Bubbles

Blowing bubbles is one of those timeless things. Kids loved it when I was a kid, kids love it today—and apparently lots of grownups love it, too.

There are no longer any young children at my house, but every summer I still buy several colorful plastic bottles of bubble solution—the kind that come with the little plastic wands inside—and set them around outside on patio tables.

I always smile when bubbles float past the kitchen window and the only person lounging in the backyard is my husband. Guests will often take a minute or two to blow some bubbles, which usually prompts someone to say, “Hey, remember when we were kids and we used to...?”

When I bought this year’s supply of bubble solution, the store was also selling a device called a Bubblator. It promised to make lots of big bubbles, but it required some assembly and some batteries. The Bubblator didn’t seem as active as the old dip-and-blow method, so I put it back on the rack and came home with the usual bottles and wands instead.

But as I sat down to write this blog, curiosity got the better of me. I did a Google search for “bubblator” and discovered what I’m missing.




I might just go back to the store and buy a Bubblator after all, because we all know bubbles aren’t just for kids, right?

Until next time,
Lee
The Writer Side of Life

ETA: Ellen posted a comment about homemade bubble solutions. Neither of us could remember all of the ingredients, but this link tells all! If you try any of these recipes, we'd love to hear about them!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I attended a pre-school sports day where one of the activities was, of course, blowing bubbles.

The organizers had supplied great big bubble wands and buckets of bubble stuff and the kids had a blast. It was gorgeous!

Then one of the moms showed up and became very thoughtful – and not in a thrilled way.

"I just bought a dozen bubble wands for my six-year-old's birthday party," she said. "But I like these wands better. I have wand envy."

She headed off to buy new wands.

I still wonder from time to time if the six-year-olds noticed – or cared – that she'd upgraded their wands.

I also wonder if that little old bottle of bubble stuff is still in my stepson's closet. He's 20 now. He won't miss it if I swipe it and head out for the sunshine. Will he?

Rachel

Trish Milburn said...

My nephews and nieces would love that Bubbalator. There is something very relaxing and stress-reducing about blowing bubbles.

Anonymous said...

Wow, masses of bubbles streaming through the air. Looks great but I like the old fashioned kind you already have, Lee. Make the kids and your husband, work hard to blow those bubbles. There's a song, "I'm forever blowing bubbles, Pretty bubbles in the air, They fly so high, They nearly reach the sky, Then like my love they fade and die," I can't remember the rest. Do you?

Lee McKenzie said...

Wand envy? LOL, Rachel! I'll bet those six-year-olds had a blast.

Have fun in the sun :)

Lee McKenzie said...

Bubbles are definitely stress reducers. Just ask my husband ;)

I'm not the Bubblator would have the same effect, but it does look like fun.

Lee McKenzie said...

Anita, my grandmother used to sing this song, but "I'm forever blowing bubbles, Pretty bubbles in the air" was the only line I could remember. Thanks for expanding on it!

Estella said...

My grandsons have a Bubblator. They love it!

Lee McKenzie said...

I hope the boys let their grandmother share in the fun, Estella!

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea, Lee, to leave bubble solution and wands around. I'm sure my grandson would think bubbles were cool, though he's too young to do it himself and would likely try to eat the bubble solution. I think I'll pick some up. I think you've started something here, Lee. ;-)

Sheryll

Lee McKenzie said...

Sheryll, I can just imagine putting a bubble want in a little one's hand and watching it go straight into the mouth! Yuck.

I'll bet your grandson would love to watch bubbles floating around him, though. Sounds like great quality time for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Bubbles are so quintessentially summer, aren't they? I always joke that I had a little one so that I can be a kid again, too. Ariel turned three this spring and I gave her a bottle of "bubble stuff" (as my siblings and I call it). She loved it! No childhood is complete without bubbles.

I just love the idea of leaving bottles of bubble stuff lying around to tempt guests and family. It's like saying, "go ahead, no one's looking, be a kid again, just for a minute." I'm gonna go buy some more bottles.

Adrienne

EllenToo said...

It's been ages since I thought about the bubbles we use to blow as children. Not only did we have the little bottles of the stuff but my mom had a formula for making something similar (I think it contained liquid soap and something else but I'm not sure.) We would have a big bowl of it and it would last forever.

Lee McKenzie said...

I agree, Adrienne! Playtime was one of my favorite things about parenting young children. Ssshh, don't tell anyone, but I'm still fond of Lego :)

Lee McKenzie said...

I remember my mom making homemade bubble solution. I remember the dishwashing liquid, but I can't remember what else went into it. I'll bet we can find a recipe on the Internet though!

EllenToo said...

Lee - A new look for the website. This is great and you found a recipe for the bubbles. Mom probably used either the sugar or corn syrup.

Lee McKenzie said...

Ellen, it's so good to know you like the new look of our site! It was designed by Harlequin American Romance author Roxann Delaney.

Roxann, please stand up and take a bow!

As for bubbles, most of the recipes I found call for glycerin. I still can't remember what my mother used, but I'm sure glycerin wasn't one of the ingredients. Corn syrup sounds right, though.