Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Writing Conferences

I'm preparing to attend the Chicago-North RWA Spring Fling Conference. www.chicagonorthrwa.org
They're hosting a great line up of authors this year--one of my favorites--Debbie Macomber.

As much as I enjoy the workshops, the multi-author book signing, schmoozing with area librarians and booksellers and touching base with other published authors… what I really enjoy most about smaller conferences is having more opportunities to chat with aspiring writers.

Writing a book is a challenging, exhausting and emotional endeavor--for me anyway. After the first few books, much of the glitz and glamour of the whole "Published Author" world disappears as we settle down to overlapping deadlines, proposals and promotion work. Is it any wonder some of the passion earlier in our writing career ends up smothered by the demands of the job? Conferences are a great way for writers to re-fuel, re-energize and get back the excitement that fizzles after those first few sales. I love being around aspiring romance writers. Their enthusiasm is contagious and serves to remind me again why I love what I do. It's even fun answering the same questions over and over: How long did it take for you to sell your first book? Your second book? Is such-n-such character going to get their own story?

If you've attended any...what inspires you most about writing conferences?

Marin
In a Soldier's Arms
Feb 08
A Coal Miner's Wife Aug 08
The Cowboy and the Angel Nov 08
www.marinthomas.com

2 comments:

Megan Kelly said...

Marin, I love conferences for the energy too. It's so fun to meet writers at different stages of the journey. Have fun!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, I love to hear everyone's writing journey. All authors have experienced the highs and the lows of publishing which make it so inspirational to keep on writing.

Have a great time!!