Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mars and Venus Never More Apparrent

Men and women are different. Yeah, we all know that. Different in the way we look, feel, and think. That became very apparent to me the other day in a quite humorous situation I just have to share with everyone.

I was invited to speak at a local Christian writers group by one of my good friends. This is a multi-genre writing group and as a result, boasts several male members. One of the men was wearing a ball cap with the saying, "Center for Domestic Preparedness" on it. Now quick, tell me, what do you think that means?

If you're like me, and EVERY SINGLE WOMAN IN THE ROOM you figure it has something to do with marriage. A joke maybe. I was envisioning a place where men go and prepare themselves before entering the noble and honorable state of matrimony.

Wrong.

As the fellow wearing the hat explained to us when one woman made a comment, the center is part of a military base in California and domestic preparedness is a term for the training soldiers go through in order to ready themselves in the event of an attack on the U.S. Could anything be more different than marriage?

When every woman chimed in that she, too, thought the saying was marriage related, the men there looked at us as if we were freaks or alien beings. We, on the other hand, looked at each other and burst out laughing. It really was funny.

So, I guess when it comes to sayings on baseball caps, women truly are from Venus and men from Mars.

Cathy Mc
"His Only Wife" 6/07 Harlequin American
"The Family Plan" 2/08 Harlequin American
www.cathymcdavid

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a book out there, I believe the title is: 'Why men don't listen and why women can't read maps'
I can't remember who the author is but its about the physiological differences between men and women ie: a man might ask where the milk is in the fridge, the woman tells him where it is, he's still staring in the fridge 'It's not there!' She comes around the corner and pulls the milk off the top shelf (right where she said it was) and he's looking at her as if she's just pulled some kind of magic trick.
It's a great book, and worth a read for curiosity's sake if nothing more.

Estella said...

I think the differences between men and women will always be.

Cathy McDavid said...

Crystal,

I think I've heard of that book. It's all so true. I just the other day showed my husband where he left his boots. By the back door - which he'd probably gone in and out of twelve times in the last few days and never noticed his boots sitting there in plain sight.

Sigh.

Cathy Mc :-)