Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A DOUBLE four-letter word... by Barbara White Daille

Exercise. Yuck.

Physical effort and I don't get along.

As I may have mentioned in a previous blog entry, I've found the stationary bike makes a great place to hang fresh laundry. I've since learned the jump rope substitutes for a clothesline. The barbells fill in for paperweights. The stair climber holds a whole bunch of books.

And I think I'm allergic to sweat.

Still, when you get to the point you need to buy new pants if you want to breathe while sitting, something has to give—and, hopefully, that doesn't mean the seams of those pants!

So this weekend, I started an exercise program. (Let's not think about the fact it began on April Fool's Day, okay?)

On Sunday, I took all the laundry off the bike and put everything away in the closet. What a workout!

On Monday, I dug out the tape that came with the bike. All that crouching in front of the video cabinet gave me cramps in both calves.

On Tuesday, I did several minutes of stretching, because of course you can't just jump into exercise without the proper warm-up. (See Monday.) Got so warmed up and cozy, I fell asleep on my yoga mat.

Today, Wednesday, I actually sat down on the bike and pedaled...for about a minute and a half.

I feel so much better already!

Well, maybe not.

Seriously, though, it's about time I get going on an exercise program. And I swear, it's more for the health benefits than it is about being too cheap to buy new pants.

I'd like your help with this.

How did you get started with a fitness routine? What makes you keep going when you want to quit?

And how do you motivate yourself to do it...again and again and again?


All my best to you,

Barbara

~~~~~~

Barbara White Daille
http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com

2 comments:

Christa said...

I found it more motivating when a group exercises together. When I worked at a nursing home a group of workers would get together for an exercise night (but then we went out and usually got something that wasn't too healthy to eat so it was kind of defeating the purpose). I think with shows like the 20 Minute workout I got more exercise laughing. Now my exercise consists of going to the bookshelf and finding another book (hey it consists of crunches or stretches at times)

Barbara White Daille said...

Christa,

I had to LOL at defeating the purpose. The one time I joined a gym, it happened to be above a Jewish delicatessen. We'd work out while smelling all the delicious food, and then of course we'd have to go get something to eat afterward! I think gyms might be hazardous to my exercise programs.

As for the bookshelf, I've found holding a book above water level in the bathtub is good for your upper arms...especially if the book is a hard cover. (grin)