Sunday, March 04, 2007

Just go with the flow!

I left town before sunrise this morning, traveling half the state away to take a test for what I do when I'm not writing, AKA the day job.

Performance test, they call it. Ha! Stress test, those of us who know better say.

I've lived through this torture before, you see, and first time around, I did stress. I studied, practiced, agonized. Tore hair, gnashed teeth, sweat blood.

This time, I said, "Forget it. I'm just gonna wing it."

And I did.

Funny thing was, this time, I felt better. I have no idea about my test results, but it felt good just to go with the flow.

"Flow" is a word that's been kicked around in psychology circles for a while now. According to the literature, flow is something you get. Something you experience. Something that is produced by doing something you really want to do.

In other words, when you're truly involved in a job or a task or a hobby, you lose yourself in the moment.

You get flow.

You could be at the office creating the perfect spreadsheet or at home polishing silverware to a diamond-bright glare. You could be cooking, painting a sunset, grouting the tub, or teaching your three-year-old to tango. You could be lazing in a hammock watching the fluttering progress of a nearby butterfly.

What you're doing doesn't matter. What's important is how you feel when you're doing it. If time stops for you, you're in flow.

That happens to me when I'm writing. Hours can go by; I don't notice. The world could go away; I wouldn't care. Heck, I can miss a meal when I'm writing—and if you knew me, you'd realize that's a very big deal! Food doesn't matter when I'm wrapped up in something I truly enjoy.

When I'm winging it.

When I've got my flow.

You know when you've got yours, too. And I'd love to hear when that is.


All my best to you,

Barbara

~~~~~~

Barbara White Daille

No comments: