Friday, February 23, 2007

Guest Post: Lindsey Brookes, Winner of Harlequin's Great American Romance Contest

First, let me say that I’m thrilled to have been asked to guest blog on the American authors’ blog site. I’ve been reading Americans for a very long time – love them! Besides being an avid reader, I’m a writer as well. Not published yet, but hoping to be someday soon.

It’s been a very big contest year for me. One of my manuscripts, OPERATION: DATE ESCAPE was an American Title III finalist. And then last week I learned that my entry – LOVING ELLIE – won Harlequin’s Great American Romance Novel contest.

Note to all: if you have an answering machine, be sure to check it every day. There just might be a call from an editor on it. J Let me explain - we are in the midst of huge house renovations and our answering machine was in the kitchen where our construction workers were dry walling last week. So needless to say I never checked it. I think every unpubbed author dreams of getting a call from an editor. Wouldn’t you know I finally get one and it had to come in the one day my answering machine was covered in drywall dust and not accessible. Fortunately for me, the stars were aligned just right the next day because I was actually home (and not out shopping J ) when Kathleen Scheibling tried to reach me again with the good news. She even asked to see the full! Yay! So as soon as I receive the crit of LOVING ELLIE that I get along with a free one year subscription to Harlequin American, I will make any necessary changes and get it right out to her and pray that this is the one.

LOVING ELLIE is a story about pregnant heroine who is determined to make it on her own after the untimely death of her baby’s father, and an emotionally scarred hero that returns home after several years away to settle his brother’s estate. Only to his surprise, he discovers his brother had not only a fiancée, but a baby on the way as well. Now he has to convince the heroine to let him help her with the ranch until the baby comes, knowing that in doing so he’ll have to face the ghosts of his past.

I hope you’ll all get the chance to read Ellie and Lucas’s story someday. Don’t you just love those cowboys!

Lindsey Brookeswww.lindseybrookes.com

20 comments:

Janice Lynn said...

Oh Lindsey! LOVING ELLIE sounds like a wonderful Harlequin American! And if your cowboy cover is anywhere near as scrumptious as the cover of ONCE A COWBOY then you're set! ((I'm totally in lust over that cover as it reminds me of Matthew McConaughey!!))

LOL on not checking your answering machine. Hope you've learned your lesson & check it daily so you don't miss THE CALL because your stories rock!!!

Good luck with Lucas & Ellie!

Terri Garey said...

Only you could miss a call from an editor, Lindsey! :) LOVING ELLIE sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see your name on the cover of a Harlequin American!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kimmi, on all your recent contest success--especially winning HA!

Loving Ellie sounds like a great read. I hope to see it soon in print.

Carla :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning the HA contest, Lindsey! LOVING ELLIE sounds Fantastic and perfect for Harlequin American!

Anonymous said...

A huge contratulations to you, Lindsey, and may this be the first of many successes in publishing land.
Applauding wildly and throwing roses your way,
Ann

Anna Sugden said...

LOL on your 'call' story - it could only happen to you!

Mega congratulations again on winning the HA contest!!! Can't wait to see Loving Ellie as an HA - it sounds great - and you're a fabulous writer!

Marin Thomas said...

Hi Lindsey

Congrats again on winning the HAR contest! Cowboys are my favorite, so here's hoping we see Lucas in an American story soon!

www.marinthomas.com

Anonymous said...

Hugs congrats, Lindsey! I'm so excited for you. And I LOVE the premise of your book. I'm ready go buy it right this minute!!!!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Lindsey!

I'm so excited for you - sorry you missed that first call - but at least you finally did get the news! You so deserve all the best - can't wait to read the story in print one of these days!

Linda Warren said...

Lindsey,
Congratulations! How exciting. Your story sounds wonderful, and I'm partial to cowboy stories. Hope to see your name in the line up soon.
Linda Warren

Christa said...

Congrats Lindsey. Ellie and Lucas's story sounds amazing. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey,

Loving Ellie sounds great! Congratulations on winning--and here's hoping we'll see it on the shelves soon!

Amy-Anne

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all your comments. I'm hoping to see Lucas and Ellie's story out there on the shelves someday as well.

Lindsey

Anonymous said...

your book sounds great! i can't wait to read it! =]] congrats on your win! good luck.

Robyn Chin

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win!! i love to read Americans!!! I hope to get to read yours someday soon!!!

~*Amanda*~

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win. You have me wondering what it is that Lucas has to face from his past.

Darlene Torday

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know this will lead to bigger things!

Funny story about missing the call. I not only check the answering machine and e-mail on a regular basis, I scroll through the caller-id. Hey, you never know!

Alison

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsey,

CONGRATS again on your well-deserved win! I LOVE this story and can't wait to see it in print with a gorgeous cowboy cover!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, congratulations on your big win. Hope to see this on the shelves soon - love cowboys!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, Terri was right. Only you could have an "I missed The Call" story like that. Congratulations on the win, and here's hoping editors are intrigued by the idea as I am. What IS in Luke's past?
Cathy