Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Facing the Big 4-0

I'm only a few days away from -- gulp -- turning 40. I don't feel 40, at least on most days. :) Maybe it's because I'm not a mom and I don't have visible proof in the form of teenagers that I'm old enough to be a mom to a teenager. It got me to thinking about ways we can make ourselves feel young, even as we grow older.

1. Keep up with new music. You might even like it. I still love to dance to whatever the latest club music is even though I don't go to clubs. But watch out, Harlequin party! :)

2. I read lots of YA/teen novels. There's just a part of me that I think will always be a teenager and connect with teen stories.

3. Same with younger-targeted shows and movies. I'm anxiously awaiting Eclipse just like a lot of girls half my age. Have you seen the trailer!?

4. Take care of ourselves. Since I don't have kids, I need to take care of myself because when hubby and I get old, there won't be grown children there to take care of us. My parents have a wealth of health problems, many that could have been prevented with different life choices. Last summer, I started trying to lose weight and become more active. I started a blog, Healthy Writer, targeted at helping writers (and anyone with a sedentary career) get up and get moving and make better eating choices. Having lost only 10 pounds since last July, I upped my game today by joining the YMCA and went to my first Zumba class. Did I feel like I was going to die 15 minutes into the hour-long class? Yes. Did I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment when I made it through the class upright and without passing out? Yes. I'm hoping that by the time I (along with Tawny Weber and Michelle Butler) give our Healthy Writer class at National in July, I'll be down at least another 10 pounds. I'm still about 30 pounds from my goal weight.

5. Try new things. I love taking trips to places I've never been, reading authors I've never read, challenging myself to accomplish things I doubted I could. Sometime in the next few months, I'm going to tackle one of my phobias by taking some swimming lessons. If I can learn to swim, that will provide one more way to help me exercise and take care of myself.

6. Get plenty of sleep. Lack of sleep ages us. I don't want to look older than I am, thanks.

What are your favorite ways to keep yourself feeling and looking young?

7 comments:

Lynn Cahoon said...

I'm hitting a different milestone this year and trying to take the year to take care of myself for once. Eating healthier but not losing the weight - apparently a body at rest sort of thing...

I love trying new things. And I have no problem sleeping most nights. Which is a good thing.

But I'm not giving up my hair color or energy for life.

MJFredrick said...

Being a teacher! It's a good way to keep up with all the new stuff. I teach elementary, so while I'm not really up on new music unless it's by Justin Bieber, I know all the cool Disney channel shows, lol.

They have so much energy that they don't LET you be old!

Lisa Ruff said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. After I left a busy, physically active job and started writing full-time, things started to spread that had not before (!). I amped up my workouts, watched every calorie and managed to lose weight last year and keep it off this year. I figure exercise in as part of my "job" and schedule it in along with everything else.

Keep going!

Trish Milburn said...

Lynn, it's about time for my hair to meet some color again.

MJ, LOL on the Justin Bieber. I kept hearing about this kid, and I finally went and watched a video. Maybe I'd like him if I were 10. :) He's not bad, just typical tweener fare.

Trish Milburn said...

Lisa, that's how I'm looking at it -- that exercise is part of my job. After all, it took me years to get published. It would really stink if I keeled over just as my career is really getting started.

Michelle Butler said...

Wow! Best wishes on the swimming lessons. That's very admirable.

I also can't wait until you are as much of a Zumba fan as I am. Happy 40th! You look gorgeous! :)

Trish Milburn said...

Thanks, Michelle. You know you've been my inspiration to make a lot of these changes.