Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Writing Advice

Here's a writing tip from Jacqueline Diamond:

Analyze books that you love, particularly those that were published recently (rather than classics). Diagram a couple of plots chapter by chapter. Retype a few passages that you find particularly effective—openings, in particular. This is tedious and time consuming, but you'll be amazed how much you learn.

If you're an author or aspiring writer--have you ever tried to diagram a book or break down a plot? If so, what method did you use and was it helpful?

Jacqueline Diamond
www.jacquelinediamond.com
Next book: Doctor Daddy, HAR, September

4 comments:

Lisa Ruff said...

I've done this. It's a very good way to understand how the plot works.

Pamela Stone said...

I've never diagramed a book exactly. I'm the one who struggled with diagraming sentences in school. But I have analyzed my favorite books with great success by simply writing down what drew me in, what about the characters made me fall in love with them. From there I determined what my favorite elements of a story are. This works pretty well in reverse also to figure out what elements make me put a book aside without finishing it.

tatt3r said...

I write a one page synopsis and ID the main characters' goals, motivation and conflict. I usually include the major plot points, and add comments of what worked and what didn't.
I like the idea of retyping a passage. I am a fast reader, and read even faster when I enjoy the scene. This would help me slow down and use my Editor, rather than my Reader. Thanks! Lenore

Megan Kelly said...

Great ideas. I've analyzed books when searching out the different lines or studying RITA nominated books. I start by looking at the GMC, then the balance of dialogue to narrative, use of secondary characters, and so on.