Saturday, March 07, 2009

Trivial Pursuit?

Tonight I'm attending my second trivia night this year--you know, where a bunch of friends sits at a table in public, sporting puzzled frowns while banging their foreheads in frustration. Usually I go to one trivia event a year that my friends sponsor as part of their team fund-raising for Relay for Life (breast cancer research). Our table's goal is to finish in the money. Then we make a point of returning the money to the charity, in hopes the other winning tables will too. I'm always amazed at the ferocity with which some people play and how jealously they guard their $80-$100. Come on, it's for charity!

Anyway, tonight the charity is a fund-raiser for a mission group going to build houses in New Orleans this summer. I like to claim my "contribution" is the dessert I bring. That way, there's no expectation--because I can't rely on my memory under time constraints. Simple, obvious questions make me hesitate. Does it just seem obvious or is it a trick? If I know the answer right away and someone has a different answer, I always doubt myself. One would think I'd be the "book person" on the team, right? Our table consists of an engineer, a geologist, a dentist, a math dean, a teacher, and me, the cookie bringer. We have science, math, health, cooking, gardening, sports, and music covered. My contribution? Cookies.

So what's your strong subject? Do you cave when challenged on something you think you remember or do you stand firm? Do you (like me) cringe when people look to you with expectation (I always get this during the Books/Literature category)? Or are you good at trivia? Because we do have a place open tonight...

Megan
megankellybooks.com

11 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, trivia tournaments. That sounds like fun. But then I was the academic/quiz bowl team in high school. :)

My favorite subjects are history, geography and some entertainment.

EllenToo said...

I hate trivia tournaments because I freeze up when asked to remember/recall something. And I would have to bring store bought cookies.

Megan Kelly said...

Trish, any chance you can make it to STL by 7 tonight? I was better at trivia when I was younger; I didn't know as much, but I recalled it on demand. Now I like to claim my brain is so packed full of knowledge, I can't access it all. lol But I still bring cookies!

Megan Kelly said...

Trish, any chance you can make it to STL by 7 tonight? I was better at trivia when I was younger; I didn't know as much, but I recalled it on demand. Now I like to claim my brain is so packed full of knowledge, I can't access it all. lol But I still bring cookies!

Megan Kelly said...

Lovely! Sorry about the double post. [I love technology, I love technology, I love...]

Megan Kelly said...

Ellen, I hear ya! I love store-bought cookies, especially the holiday Oreos (spring is out now with their happy yellow centers--yum). If I get any writing done today on my wip, I may resort to those. I've already bought a couple bags of Chex Mix--I know, it's easy to make, right? Just not my thing.

Estella said...

I love trivia. My strong suits are sports and science.

Megan Kelly said...

Well, Estella, if you're in the area tonight... LOL I used to know baseball stuff until a co-worker said it was a waste of brain space when all that info is online. So now I know Babe Ruth's and Hank Aaron's HR records but not much else. Unfortunately, looking up info is prohibited during competition. :(

Anonymous said...

I thought I was good at Trivia - I see an actor in a movie and can name other movies the actor was in. But when I actually try to play any type of trivia game - I stink.
Good luck playing tonight and enjoy your Oreos! Cookies make everything better.
-Marcie

Megan Kelly said...

Thanks, Marcie. It's amazing how much I think I know until I'm asked. lol

Megan Kelly said...

Ok, home from trivia. We, um, didn't come in in the money, but we all had a great time. My dh says we were in top 10 out of 35 tables. However, my friends made up two tables, and my table beat them by 3 points, so it's all good. I made a small contribution (crossword clues and grammar!), so if there are word/book questions, they might let me continue to play. lol