Monday, March 16, 2009

Literacy


I know. Literacy isn’t a very exciting blog topic. But it's an important one. Next week I'm speaking at the Janesville, Wisconsin Literacy Council monthly meeting. The council sponsors a community program designed to train volunteers to tutor adults and children, who lack proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English.

I was asked to discuss how my publisher--Harlequin--promotes literacy. The first thing that came to mind was the http://www.eharlequin/ 10,000 book challenge. If you haven't heard of this pop over to http://www.eharlequin.com/ and check it out.

For every book read, Harlequin donates a book to the National Center for Family Literacy, whose mission is to promote family literacy. "When parents struggle with literacy and life skills, their children have fewer chances for success. Family literacy reverses that cycle by teaching the families of today in order to impact the generations of tomorrow."

I grew up two blocks from the library in Janesville. My family didn’t have money for summer vacations, so every year in June I'd lined up with other kids just like me--stuck in town--and register for the library's summer reading program. Books were my vacation. I traveled to exotic places--jungles, outer space, even back in time to the Civil War.

If not for a love of reading that my local library nurtured, I doubt I would have become a writer. We all know how important reading is to succeeding in school or landing a good job. But reading a book is so much more than an education--it's an escape, an adventure, a journey of self-discovery. Reading nurtures the imagination and frees the spirit.

As an author who depends on readers for her income--I just want to say "THANK YOU" to all the people in our communities who give their time to help others learn to read. The world's a better place because of you!

Marin
A Cowboy's Promise *Men Made in America* April 2009
Samantha's Cowboy August 2009
A Cowboy Christmas Dec 2009

3 comments:

EllenToo said...

I agreed the eHarlequin book challenge is an excellent idea and one I participate in. I taught high school for 35 years and in those years it amazed me how many teens had trouble reading because they did not read as a child. I began reading at age 4 and there were always books around our house. My father was a big reader and read just about anything. He passed the love of books along to me and now I read all the time. I want to say Thank You to authors who write books so I have something to read. And I've read more than a few of yours.

Christa said...

I have been doing the challenge since 2006. I find it a great way to keep track of my reading. It is also an excellent way to discover great books out there (I think my TBR is at 10X the size it was, LOL) and now last year they added a great cause. I believe I've always read but it was 8 years ago that I started super reading.
I have a 20 year old son. Getting him to read was a pain unless it was a subject matter that interested him.

Marin Thomas said...

Hi Ellen

Glad to hear you're enjoying the E-HQ challenge--I think it's such a worthy cause. Like your father--my mother was the one who encouraged me to read. She always had a book lying around the house.
After 35 years teaching...think how many young lives YOU touched!

Hi Christa

Your right about keeping track of what we read and the challenege being a great way to do that. Your super reading sounds intriguing--my daughter enjoys reading much more than my son--what is it about boy? They can't sit still long maybe :-)

Marin
A Cowboy's Promise April 09
www.marinthomas.com