Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Easter, Happy Spring

I'm sorry I'm just getting online to blog tonight. My wireless network apparently had a meltdown while I was gone this morning and I finally convinced it to cooperate. I just wanted to take a few minutes to wish everyone a very happy Easter weekend. Family, friends and community are so important at this time of renewal, and I hope that you have every opportunity to enjoy those you hold dear.

My thoughts are also with those affected by the flooding and the continued bad weather in the north. In Texas, we got a lot of rain, but nothing like the midsection of the country is experiencing. In 1992, my daughter and I went to the RWA conference in St. Louis and watched the phenomenal flood from our hotel room window and the foot of the Arch. I'll never forget the sight, and I hope it doesn't get that bad again.

My best wishes for a happy Easter weekend, a pleasant first weekend of spring, wherever you are and whatever the weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you all know that I live in St. Louis. I've been here forever, seeing both the flood of 1993 (when I lost my basement) and flood of 1995. The Missouri and the Mississippi aren't the problem this time. This year it's the Meramec. She's a picky one. In 1982 (think that's the year) she went totally over Highway 141 and into Times Beach--do a google search on that for a really interesting story. However, we've never seen Highway 141 at 44 get shut down as it is.

Pacific got nailed in 1995, and Highway 109 always goes under by Alt Rd and by Eureka High School whenever the Meramec floods. However, this year it's worse than before, especially in Pacific. I used to teach at Pacific High School, which is high and dry but many of the kids who go there are flodded.

I live off the Highway 44 and Gray Summit exit--just one west of Pacific. I'm high and dry--it's everything to the south of me by about 15 minutes that's under water. We'd just come off several snow days and then the rain fell. It's been a mess, but proof at how truly resilient Missourians are.

Michele Dunaway

Anonymous said...

And of course I meant flooded...

BTW, if you want the local news channels which have great pics, video, etc., they are

www.ksdk.com
www.kmov.com
www.myfoxstl.com

Happy Easter all,

Michele