Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Best Kind of Review

Well, it's almost here. The release of His Only Wife, my first Harlequin American book. In — oh, my gosh — about two weeks. This is a pretty exciting and scary time for me. On the one hand, I can't wait to walk into stores and see my book (I'm hoping even grocery stores). On the other hand, I'm on pins and needles as the reviews start to come in.

So far, so good. I hope no one minds if I share a couple of snippets here:

"A sweet second chance at love story. Gage and Aubrey have a great deal of baggage that they must dig through in order to find that happy ending, and this story is a pleasant way to spend the afternoon."
Romantic Times

"This entertaining second chance at love is a fine contemporary tale starring two likable protagonists. Each of the lead pair carries plenty of emotional baggage making a permanent adult relationship seem unattainable. HIS ONLY WIFE is an pleasurable read."
The Best Reviews

Hmm, anyone besides me notice a similarity in the two reviews? Here's the review that means the most to me:

"It was the best Harlequin book I ever read!"
Cathy's Mom

Yes, my mom. Okay, I know, she's supposed to love my books. It goes with the territory of being a mom - unconditional support of your children. But she meant what she said. I could hear it in her voice, see it in her eyes. And I can't tell you how great that made me feel. I might be all grown up. My kids might be almost grown up and be having kids of their own in a few years. No matter how old I get, having my mother be proud of me is still really important and probably always will be.

Sappy, I know. I don't care. Hey, this is Harlequin American. We're allowed to be sappy. Maybe even encouraged!

Cathy McDavid

2 comments:

bettye griffin said...

Okay, let's try this again (just had a server error).

Those first two reviews are my favorite kind. Unlike reviews that say something like, "Great book!" (not that this is a bad thing), it tells other readers why they enjoyed it so much.

As for the third review, it gave me a chuckle in what's been a trying morning. It also made me grateful that my mom has been around through 13 books (my dad only lived to see the first one, but he was very proud of/happy for me). Nothing like making Mom proud, is there!

I wish you many more positive reviews.

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com

Marin Thomas said...

Cathy

Congrats on your first American release and the nice reviews you're getting! I agree, Mom's are the best!

Marin
www.marinthomas.com
The Preacher's Daughter
*Summer Lovin' Anthology* June 07