Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Off To A Good Start

Well, last month brought innumerable hours of wrestling meets, a fast and furious race to meet my deadline for August Nights, my October release, and five days behind a cash register at a Hallmark store.
We also managed to celebrate Christmas with friends and family. But anyone who knows me would tell you that I was mainly focused on one thing...the health of my miniature dachshund, Suzy. She needed surgery two weeks ago, and I'm happy to report that she's now back to her regular self. Just yesterday she was vigilantly patrolling the back yard, yapping at anything that moved. My kids and I watched her and smiled--for the first time not wishing she would stop barking.
Isn't it funny how a pet can become the focal point of a family? Suzy sleeps on my son's bed, keeps me company during the day, and is both a constant source of amusement and aggravation for my husband and daughter. Things just weren't the same when she was as sick as, well, a dog.
So, here at my house, we'll begin 07 with a very large vet bill, Christmas decorations to put away, a proposal to write, and yet another round of wrestling meets. Thank goodness I'll have a little brown dog to help me get through it. And because of that, 07 looks to be a very good year. Hope everyone else's year is off to a good start, too.
Shelley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly - so glad Suzy is doing okay. We have a dachshund as well - and he's a hoot. He sleeps with us as well and burrows under the blankets. Does yours do that? I've heard it's because they're bred for burrowing after small animals? LOL. Totally freaked me out the first time he did it.

I used to do wrestling meets with my boys as well - they don't wrestle now - kinda miss it. But, don't miss the early mornings.

Shelley Shepard Gray said...

Thanks, Tammy!
Yep, Suzy burrows under everything. We now have a blanket on the couch just for that purpose. : ) We also built a little ramp so Suzy can climb onto the couch whenever she wants. Talk about spoiled!

Glad you know what I mean about the love/hate thing with wrestling.All of us team parents have become friends-it's hard not to when meets can be 8-10 hours long. Of course, I still hate to watch my son wrestle, it all looks painful! Luckily his practices are after school. Now my daughter, on the other hand, will have early morning swim practices next year. Yikes! I hope you have a good weekend, Tammy!

Shelley